Wednesday, February 27, 2008


Yesterday was a crazy day. We took Sam and Taylor to the surgery center early in the morning and they both had tubes put in their ears. Taylor also had his adenoids removed. They both did such a great job dealing with it all and recovering. I think the whole ordeal may be harder on Mom and Dad than the kids. It's so hard to watch a nurse come take your baby away and know that they will be put under anesthia and "stuff" done to them. Sam came out of it really well and all he mostly wanted was just a bottle as he was starving. He was much happier after being fed and went to sleep taking a nice long nap.
After they finished with Sam, they took Taylor back. We thought he did such a great, brave job of going with the nurse. Maybe ignorance is bliss, we really didn't tell him much of what was going to happen, just that the doctor was going to fix his problems with his ears and nose. The doctor came to tell us that what he thought was true, Taylor's adenoids were huge, causing him to barely have an opening to breathe right. We approved the removal of them. It took a bit longer than just the tubes and so did the recovery. I waited for Taylor to come out, but he was so sleepy and wouldn't really wake up, so I took Sam home and Kevin stayed with Taylor.

Taylor finally came home a while later and went right to bed and slept for hours. We were told to get him drinking LOTS of fluid. When I did finally get him to wake up, he drank lots of juice and kind of relished in the fact that I'd bought him lots of yummy things to eat and drink, like yogurt drinks and popsicles, Jell-o, etc. He's really milking it for all it's worth! That's okay, Taylor is quite a picky eater and we've been worrying about whether he's getting enough nutrition, so we're actually just happy to see him enjoying anything. He's done really well today and besides a bit of a nasally voice, says he feels fine. Now he just needs to take it easy with no running and too much horsing around for 10 days.
I'm delighted with the thought that these procedures will make Sam better than ever, as well as Taylor. Taylor gets a lot of colds and always seems to have boogers and stuffiness. The doctor assured us that this will really help!
Later last night as I was putting Sam's pajamas on, I noticed a really strange rash in three big splotches on his chest and tummy. I immediately freaked out because it was the strangest thing I've ever seen. I ran to show Kevin and grabbed the phone to call the doctor. Here's the picture we took of the rash.

After Kevin and I looked at this strange rash and talked through it, we suddenly realized that during his time with the doctor putting the tubes in his ears, they had him hooked up to some monitors with wires and tape. Silly us! The "rash" was from the tape they had put on him. Whew! I really thought that was the strangest looking rash I'd ever seen with its donut shape. We got a good laugh out of it. Here's a few more pictures of my cute, sweet baby, Mr. GQ!

Both boys seem totally fine today, aside from Taylor's nasal sounding voice. We're hoping that corrects itself soon!

All the boys recently have been playing with Legos a bunch. I think it has helped that during the week they are not allowed to play Game Cube and Game Boy, so they are trying to find ways to creatively play together. It's really been nice to see them playing so well, although they've set up Lego Central in our piano room. We have three different sizes of Legos and it's been fun keeping the little ones off the floor, so Sam doesn't get them. Sam is always right there with the boys, fitting right in.

The other day Taylor made this cute Lego creation and I thought it was so creative that I had to take a picture. He just came up to me out of the blue, while the other boys were at school and said, "Look, Mom, I made a duck holding a pizza!"
That's it for today! (Note--still trying to figure out this blogging thing and can't seem to get the pictures where and how we want them. Captions? Etc. Even Kevin's not sure.)


Max and Deborah said...

Whew I am glad all went great with the surgeries. What a relief. I would have freaked out also, seeing the "rash".

jaosnsmskth said...

anks for sharing the article, and more importantly, your personal experience mindfully using our emotions as data about our inner state and knowing when it’s better to de-escalate by taking a time out are great tools. Appreciate you reading and sharing your story since I can certainly relate and I think others can to

idadalton said...

I like having such a broad range of games like this to pick from. I also appreciate, and this is probably my favorite aspect of them, the little game preview that appears when you click on a game and displays the game's minimum and maximum winnings. More websites ought to follow this.